The Memorandum Expires: Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman and Refuses an Extension as Drones Hit the Kurdish PM's Office
Day 171 in one line: the legal framework of the war lapsed — the June memorandum expired with Washington refusing to extend it — and the same day the President threatened to bomb the mediator, drones hit the office of the man who carried America’s secret backchannel to the IRGC, and Iran announced it had a Hormuz deal with Oman anyway.
The Memorandum Expires, Unextended
The 60-day memorandum of understanding signed at Versailles on June 17 expired on Monday. Asked whether he was seeking an extension, Trump shook his head and mouthed "no." He said Iran should put up the white flag of surrender, that he has no time schedule and is in no hurry, and that the Iranians "want to make a deal, but they’re not going to make the kind of a deal that I feel is necessary." The document that both sides had been arguing about — Tehran demanding Washington return to it and compensate for violating it, Washington demanding the strait open first — no longer exists as a live instrument. A US congressional report published on August 7 had already assessed that Iran’s hardline leadership treated the memorandum as a tactical pause and spent the two months preparing for escalation.
"Bomb Oman": A Threat Against the Mediator
In an interview with Fox News, asked about the parallel Iran-Oman talks over control of the strait, Trump threatened to bomb Oman if it "gets in the way" of US efforts to reach a favourable deal. It is an unprecedented threat against a Gulf state that has spent two months mediating at Washington’s own encouragement, and it came hours after Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei said an understanding had been reached with Muscat on the map of the transit route. Baghaei conceded the talks had gone slowly but said the plan remains to finalise the understanding as a package — the map plus a joint statement.
Drones on Barzani’s Office — and the Backchannel
Two drones struck the private office of Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Masrour Barzani and the residence of the director of the region’s protection agency in Erbil. The regional counterterrorism service said they were launched from the border with Iran; no casualties were reported. The Kurdistan Regional Government blamed Iran, Baghdad announced a federal investigation, and the UAE condemned what it called an Iranian aggressive attack. Tehran denied it: Baghaei called the reports a highly suspicious development, and Araghchi wrote that nothing justifies the attack while warning Kurdish friends to be vigilant against false-flag ploys. The context reported the same weekend makes the target notable — Axios revealed that in mid-May, then-DNI Tulsi Gabbard asked Kurdistan President Nechirvan Barzani to open a secret backchannel to IRGC commander Ahmad Vahidi, which he did on May 14. This tracker logs the attribution as contested.
Iran Shifts to a "Fully Offensive" Posture
An Iranian official said Tehran is moving from a defensive to a fully offensive posture, warning that all Iranian entities will be prepared to escalate in the Strait of Hormuz and the wider region if diplomacy fails, and that Iran will not wait indefinitely for the US naval blockade to continue. The IRGC separately denied Trump’s claim of a backchannel, with a spokesman telling Tasnim that talk of behind-the-scenes contacts with Americans amounts to delusions stemming from defeat. Markets barely moved on the posture announcement, which Tehran had been signalling for days.
Three Ships in Twenty-Four Hours
MarineTraffic recorded at least three commercial vessels passing through the Strait of Hormuz over 24 hours, two tankers inbound to the Persian Gulf — a marginal recovery from the zero notable movements logged on Day 170, and still a rounding error against pre-war volumes. A commercial vessel was struck by a projectile in the strait with one casualty. In Iraq, a large fire broke out at a fuel depot near Sulaimaniyah after a strike on warehouse and tanker facilities, with this tracker logging twenty casualties.
Lebanon, Yemen, Gaza
UNIFIL reported that Israeli military activity in Lebanon has risen to an average of 137 projectiles a day, with civilians paying the price. The Houthis struck another Saudi commercial vessel in the Red Sea, and their drone exchange with Yemeni government forces continued to intensify around Sanaa. In Gaza, Kushner said the United States will not allow the territory to be rebuilt until Hamas disarms, while Israeli strikes continued on what the military described as Hamas infrastructure. Netanyahu told the Kushner delegation that progress on the administration’s latest 15-point Gaza ceasefire plan would be problematic because of upcoming Israeli elections.
Status Assessment
Tracker status holds at WAR RESUMED. Day 171 removes the last formal structure the diplomacy had: the memorandum both capitals kept invoking is now expired and unextended by American choice. In its place are a threat to bomb the mediator, an Iranian shift to an announced offensive posture, a drone strike on the government whose president carried Washington’s own backchannel to the IRGC, and a Hormuz understanding between Tehran and Muscat that Washington has just threatened to destroy. US strikes on Iran remain paused since August 1, seventeen days, and that pause is now the only restraint in the picture that anyone is still observing.
Iran